Setting an alarm is not fun, but it's something we all need to do in our daily lives. Without alarm clocks, most people around the world would be lost, late for work, and always oversleeping. If you've just purchased a new alarm clock or phone, you may be wondering how to set the alarm on your device.
In this article, I'll explain everything you need to know about how to set an alarm on different devices:
- How to set a wind-up alarm clock
- How to set a digital alarm clock
- How to set an alarm on an Android phone
- How to set an alarm on an iPhone
- How to set an alarm on a computer
- How to set an online alarm
How to Set a Wind-Up Alarm Clock
Wind-up alarm clocks are a highly reliable form of alarm. When using these alarm clocks, you don't need electricity or any form of battery. Instead, you simply wind up the clock and the alarm will sound at the pre-set time.
Usually, wind-up clocks have three hands on the clock face. This includes an hour hand, a minute hand, and a third alarm hand. The alarm hand points to the time you set the alarm to go off at.
Here's how to set a wind-up alarm clock in a few simple steps:
- Find the settings: Turn the clock around to locate the settings buttons. Most wind-up alarm clocks have two buttons and two wind-up keys located on the back of the clock.
- Set the time: Use the button labeled "Clock" to set the time correctly. Pressing this button should allow you to control both the hour and the minute hand.
- Wind the clock: To wind the clock, turn the wind-up key labeled "Alarm" clockwise until it stops.
- Set the alarm time: Use the second button labeled "Alarm" to move the third clock hand to the time you want the alarm to go off at.
- Activate the alarm: To activate the alarm, pull the "Alarm" button towards you.
How to Set a Digital Alarm Clock
Digital alarm clocks often use a buzzer or a radio station as the alarm. Most digital alarm clocks have a similar setup process, although some will label the settings slightly differently.
Here's how to set a typical digital alarm clock in a few simple steps:
- Set the time: Hold the "Clock" button and push the "Hour" button to change the hour and the "Minute" button to change the minutes. Some digital alarm clocks allow you to set the time using the plus (+) button and minus (-) button instead.
- Set AM or PM: The AM or PM will usually appear to the right of the time on your digital alarm clock. Select AM or PM to set the current time.
- Set the alarm: Hold the "Alarm" button and use the "Hour" and "Minute" buttons to set the time you want the alarm to sound.
- Activate the alarm: Press the "Sleep" button to activate the alarm to wake you up at the designated time. The alarm will continue to sound every day at the pre-set time unless you press the "Sleep" button again to deactivate the alarm.
How to Set an Alarm on an Android Phone
Every Android phone has a clock app installed that enables you to set an alarm. You can set more than one alarm using the Android alarm app.
Here's how to set an alarm on an Android phone:
- Open the "Clock" app on your Android phone
- Tap the "Alarm" tab
- Add a new alarm by clicking the plus (+) button
- Set the alarm time using the analog, digital, or 12-hour alarm clock format
- Click "OK" to save the alarm
- Click the plus (+) button to set another alarm, if needed
How to Set an Alarm on an iPhone
All iPhones are pre-installed with a clock app that you can use to set an alarm. You can use this app to set multiple alarms at once.
Here's how to set an alarm on an iPhone in a few simple steps:
- Open the "Clock" app
- Click the "Alarm" tab
- Tap the plus (+) button
- Set the time for the alarm using the 24-hour digital clock available
- Choose your preferences: you can label the alarm, set it on recurrence, choose a sound, and/or set your snooze preferences
- Hit "Save" to save the alarm
- Tap the plus (+) button to set another alarm, if needed
How to Set an Alarm on a Computer
To set an alarm using a computer, you can either use the in-app setting on a Windows 11 device, an app on a Mac, or you can use an Online Alarm Clock on the Internet.
How to set an alarm on Windows 11
Here's how to set an alarm using Windows 11:
- Open the "Alarms & Clocks" app by searching for the alarm in the taskbar
- Click "Add an alarm" to create a new alarm
- Use the sliders to adjust the hours, minutes, and the AM and PM setting
- Set your preferences: including the reoccurrence, sound, and duration of snooze
- Click "Save" to save the alarm
- Add another alarm using the "Add an alarm" button, if needed
How to set an alarm on a Mac
When setting an alarm on a computer, you can either use the default system settings and apps or you can set an online alarm.
To set an alarm using a Mac, you can:
- Launch the "Calendar" app
- Select the date that you want to set an alarm for
- Add an "Event" and label it "Alarm"
- Enter the time you want the alarm to start and finish at
- Click "Add Alert"
- Select "Custom" from the drop-down menu
- Click "Message" with sound and select an alarming sound
- Click "OK"
An easier way to set an alarm using a Mac computer is to simply use an online alarm clock via the Internet instead.
How to Set an Online Alarm
Online Alarm Clocks are convenient tools that allow you to set an alarm using your computer wherever you are. There is no need to download an app when using an online alarm. All you need is an Internet connection.
Here's how to set an online alarm using an alarm website:
- Open the Online Alarm Clock
- Set a time or use one of the pre-set times to set an alarm
- Choose a sound
- Set your snooze time
- Click "Set the Alarm"
To stop the alarm, click "Stop". You can then reset the time and click "Set the alarm" to set a new alarm.